Sunday, August 2, 2020

Puzzle 33 - 15x15: Something Different

It's Sunday. Not long ago, I learned about on Rex Parker a type of crossword called Something Different. Oh they're so much fun. Anything goes in it, real phrases (rarely), fake phrases, partial whatevers. I solved a few then tried to make my own. But way way way too boldly - I went for a 15x15 with no black squares. It didn't work ...

Then just last week the constructor Paolo Pasco published a Something Different he had made (it was very funny). And I remembered that I wanted to. After much amusement in construction, here it is.

But I don't think I did it quite right. For one thing I still wanted it to be wide open, so there are only 12 black squares (making 54 words total). And some of the long phrases are a little too close to nonsense. Two of them, I'd say. Not great, out of only 18. Also some small words are actual nonsense, clued desperately. Unevenly difficult, I think is what all that leads to. (There's a crossing dupe but that's fine - Friday's had one too, and anyway in neither puzzle was one full entry in another one.)

Still, it's been tested, and it is solvable. The clues are as straightforward as I was able to make them.

PUZ
PDF
Solution

No comments:

Post a Comment